Monday, August 24, 2009

musical monday

Our pastor has been preaching a sermon series on John 15. I have truly enjoyed this series and have been so blessed by everything Johnny has passionately shared with us. He's been giving us the "5 Keys to Successful Living" from John 15. They are:
  1. The key to life is bearing fruit.
  2. The key to bearing fruit is abiding in Christ.
  3. The key to abiding in Christ is obeying Christ.
  4. The key to obeying Christ is loving Christ.
  5. The key to loving Christ is knowing Christ.

I just love the way he has unpacked this section of Scripture for us. I think it took me until the 3rd week (yes, I'm slow) to realize that he was going to give us a "key" and then tell us how to actually obtain that key. I've gotta admit, from week one, I've just walked away each Sunday saying..."Man, I want more of that in my life." So...now that he has revealed the fifth key, I am seeking today to know Christ much more intimately, SO THAT I can love Him, obey Him, abide in Him, and bear fruit for Him. ALL things that I have honestly been so slack in lately.

So, my slackness in each area just shows how slack I have been in getting to know Christ. Help me by praying that I will continually dive in to God's Word and get to know Him more and more each day. None of the "Check. I've read my bible today" nonsense, but a hunger like no other to get into God's Word. (Much like I completely dig into McDonald's fries like I'm starving and have completely devoured them before I even know what has happened!) Oh, that my hunger for God's Word would be like my hunger for other things.

If you want to check out Johnny's sermons, you can check here for sermon downloads and sermon notes.

Justin used a great song yesterday to help instill in us the need to know God more. Here's what I'll leave you with today, in hopes that you, too, will have an increased hunger for God's Word that just can't quite be quenched.

Knowing You

All I once held dear built my life upon
All this world reveres, and wars to own
All I once thought gain I have counted loss
Spent and worthless now, compared to this

Chorus:
Knowing you, Jesus knowing you
There is no greater thing
You're my all you're the best
You're my joy, my righteousness
And I love you , Lord

Now my heart's desire is to know you more
To be found in you, and known as yours
To possess by faith what I could not earn
All surpassing gift of righteousness

Oh to know the power of your risen life
And to know you in your suffering
To become like you in your death my Lord
So with You to live
And never die

(Check out Philippians 3)

No comments: