Thursday, October 21, 2010

pumpkin decorating for a toddler

I found this great idea in Family Fun magazine yesterday and couldn't wait to make it!  Elijah has enjoyed a pumpkin decorating activity we found online here, so I knew he would like this magnetic version.  It hardly took any time to make and so far he's loved it.  I can't wait to make a snowman...and maybe a turkey?!  This is a great activity for focusing on shapes and faces!

Here's all you need:

  • 2 adhesive magnetic sheets (mine were about 5x7 that I already had and I think they're pretty cheap)
  • orange paper (I raided my scrapbook paper!)
  • black paper
  • scissors

Here's what you do:
  • Attach the orange paper to the magnetic sheet and cut the paper down to size.  Cut out a pumpkin shape!
  • Attach the black paper to a magnetic sheet and cut out several shapes for eyes, noses, mouths, and anything else you want!
  • Put it on the fridge and see how long it takes your child to find it!

 

3 comments:

Jeni Sinclair said...

Good idea and precious picture!

Unknown said...

Love this idea!! Simple but sure to entertain the little ones:)

I have been meaning to pick up those adhesive magnet strips...where do you get them?

Erin said...

I've always found them at Wal-Mart (but we don't really have anywhere else nearby that would sell it)!

For this, I used a 2-pack of magnetic sheets that was from Wal-Mart. Hope you can find what you need!