Sunday, March 16, 2008

going green!

So...I have not always been the best at doing my part to preserve the great resources God has made us stewards of on earth, but now that we are settling into life again in a new place, I'm trying to make some changes.

One change I'm making is to use my own shopping bags when going to the grocery store. I had first seen some shopping bags for sale at Lowe's Foods the other week, but didn't really feel like buying them that day. I was in Target one day and their colorful, trendy shopping bags caught my attention and I decided (with a little push from my friend Sheila who happened to call while I was shopping) that I would set a new pattern in motion, hoping I would be more motivated with cool-looking bags.

Funny story...I got up to the checkout and the young cashier started putting my "Going Green Shopping Bags" in a Target plastic bag. She must not have got the new memo. I did tell her that I didn't need a bag and I could just place them all in one bag. Then, she started ringing up my other items and before I could even think to tell her differently, she put all my other stuff in a plastic bag!! So...I did walk out with one plastic bag that day, but I saved another one!

After being out of town last week, I needed to do some grocery shopping last night, so thankfully I remembered to take the bags with me to Food Lion. I was a little nervous about how I would be received with my own shopping bags, especially since FL doesn't sell their own bags as far as I know. All in all, I had a great first shopping experience with my new bags!! I even took the exact amount that I needed, I was proud of myself.

I think you can get a lot of reusable shopping bags for around $1 each. The ones I bought from Target were actually $1.50 each, but they are a great size and very sturdy. I only had to use 4 of them last night and they carried a good amount of groceries. It was really nice to come home and simply fold up four bags after I put the groceries up instead of trying to deal with lots of plastic bags.

I would definitely recommend this change in your shopping routine. It seems weird at first, but it really is a simple, even convenient change. You can even get a bag at Target that zips up to fit nicely in your purse for shorter trips to the store. (I bought one last week, but can't find it!...sorry, no picture for that).

3 comments:

Sherlyn said...

Just found your blog. I'm from NC too. Going green, saving money, and "stuff" in general has been a topic in my life for 2008. I'm unfortunately going slower at it then I want. Our biggest change came at the first of the year. We use to buy bottle water from Sams/Costco on a regular schedule. I added up the number of bottles we were using and the money. I bought a filtered water pitcher from Costco for $30 and we use it now. Bought some reusuable drink containers for going back and forth to work and out with. Saving roughly $300 a year and not filling up the landfill with bottles. It's pretty amazing how much little things can make a big difference. We actually talked at our small group last night about how we are using up resources that God has blessed us with without thinking of the harm we are causing! I hope to make alot more changes this year - Good luck on your progress!

Rebecca said...

very cool... looks like you went more red than green though :-)

miss you!!!!!

Mandy said...

Hi Erin, I just wanted to say thanks for the comments on my blog. :-) Tim is just awesome... PSC seems to be "pressing on" as one volunteer likes to say. ;-) We all really appreciate the prayers. It's all very different for me. I've never worked under a board of directors before. (That should say it all...) But I know that God put me here for a reason. I'm just waiting for Him to reveal that reason to me. Hope to talk to you again soon.

Blessings,
Mandy