Wednesday, January 9, 2008

spelling it out for God

This morning I was reading in Genesis 15 and was struck by the words of Abram as He was speaking with the Lord:

"But Abram said, 'O Lord God, what will you give me, for I continue childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?' And Abram said, 'Behold, you have given me no offspring, and a member of my household will be my heir.'" Genesis 15:2-3

I had to read these verses twice because I realized that Abram was just repeating himself. My translation:

Abram said, "God, why have you not provided children when Eliezer will be my heir? Hello, God! Did you hear me? This means if I were to die today, just this member of my household will be my heir!"

As if God didn't know that! We can be so good at spelling things out for Him. I have done a lot of that in the past months. My prayers have gone something like this. "God, I know you are calling Justin and I to another town, another church, but do you realize you're also calling me away from the Pregnancy Support Center? Hello, God! Do you know that this means you are taking away the only staff member?? How are things going to keep going?"

Oh, the prayers disguised in genuine concern that just ooze with pride! God really had to work on my heart (mostly through wise words about humility and God's provision from my husband) and show me (again) how He has everything in control. And oh, how I am so thankful. God has already shown Himself in Elkin, as I believe there is a position that I may be able to fill at the Crisis Pregnany Center here. And how He has shown Himself in the great job applications and resumes we received for the Pregnany Support Center in Roxboro.

Just like Abram, I'm good at spelling things out for God, even when I know He has the best for us in mind. Just a few short chapters later, God calls Abram to offer his son as a sacrifice, and he does so with hardly any questioning. Such a difference from chapters before. As God continues to display His best plans for myself, and for you, I pray that we will be able to follow Him with greater faith in the next chapters of our lives. Allowing God to slowly spell things out for us...in His timing!

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Holy Moly, I don't read blogs for a few days and you're a maniac! :o) I'm glad you're posting more cause I miss you! I am TERRIBLE at spelling things out for God. It's a wonder He doesn't plug His ears and flick my forehead I talk so much to Him about what He needs to do to make my life like I want it. :o(