Wednesday, February 27, 2008

r is for random opinion

So...this show The Moment of Truth really saddens me. We've watched a part of an episode, I guess the first one that came out, and I was amazed at the new depths to which American TV producers have now stooped. We don't watch TV channels like MTV or others that are obviously corrupted and seem to have no moral judgment or draw the line anywhere, but I am amazed at the shows that have now even made their way to "main" channels.

If you don't know, this show is based on contestants who take lie detector tests. Each contestant is asked a series of questions and is judged based on the previous lie detector tests they have taken. The contestant, of course, is trying to win money in the process. The farther they go in telling the truth, no matter how hurtful or embarrasing or detrimental it is, the more money they win.

Of course I encourage telling the truth. Of course it is best to be honest. But we are all sinners, and therefore have sinful thoughts. Thoughts that could ultimately hurt even those we love if they are expressed in an unloving manner. How awful to have to choose between hurting those you love and making money! How amazing that people even put themselves in that situation! I hope that I always choose to uplift those around me, no matter what.

Everytime I see a commercial for the show it really saddens me. I've heard questions like,

"Do you think you are a better mother to your children than your mom was to you?"

"If your old boyfriend wanted to get back together, would you leave your husband?"

"Do you think you are the best looking of all your friends?"

Some are obviously worse than others, but all reveal just a portion of our sinful nature. As it says in Jeremiah,

The heart is deceitful above all things,
and desperately sick;
who can understand it?
“I the Lord search the heart and test the mind,
to give every man according to his ways,
according to the fruit of his deeds.”

Praise God for sending a Savior who has taken our place. If it were up to me, I could never be good enough to save myself. I know that my heart is deceitful, but most of the time I even choose to think that I am better than I am. Perhaps Fox actually thought the Moment of Truth would display the good in people. Unfortunately, we have all sinned and fallen short of God's glory (Romans 3:23). Our thoughts, when exposed, totally prove this. So, a tv show that saddens me, also serves to remind me of how our lost world relies on those who know the Truth to share the redeeming, life-changing gift that God has provided for anyone who will accept His offer.

If you need a reminder of how lost we are and our need for a Savior, check out this article and clip on The Moment of Truth

No comments: